Friday, November 15, 2013

Inquiry based instruction

This week I had to do a lab using the inquiry based instruction approach. When I first heard this I had no idea what that meant. However, after watching Mr. Clark teach at Greenwood High School I got a better idea. I had no problem coming up with a lesson to do but my instructors gave me a twist. I had to include a piece of scientific equipment in my lesson. I came up with the idea of doing a lab with the students looking at blood cells under the microscope and describing them. After getting help from my aunt and getting everything approved, I was set. Then I was not able to get a microscope so I had to change everything. 

In my research I found a lab that deals with osmosis. I decided to use this and relate it to plant science. 

The lab consisted of using gummy bears to show how osmosis worked. My scientific equipment was a scale. I went into the lab thinking that it was going to be the worst lab I did this semester. It was but wasn't. I was not a 100% sure what inquiry based was or how to do it so I went into it thinking I  going to do my best. 

Overall I feel that I did the best I could do. I had the students state what osmosis was and then I gave them the essential question for the lab which was "What effects, if any, does water have to gummy bears after soaking them in water".  The class was then to come up with procedures and conduct the activity and then share their results. They also were to come up with questions. 

The lab did not go as planned. The gummy bears did not change in size or weight. However, I asked the class what would happen if we left them in overnight. They were able to explain that the bears would grow in size and mass due to the water going into them. Which is true. 

Overall this was a great learning experience and gave me a better idea of how to do inquiry based units of instruction. 

Next week I will be back after I do a 3 day lesson at Central Mountain on floral design. 


Till best time........

2 comments:

  1. Val,
    This week had a huge learning curve for me as well. I believe that this was the best way for us to learn IBI though. Now you have an idea of what you liked and what you would change for next time. The scientific piece of equipment was a challenge, but I also think that was a good way to get us to think and be more creative. I think this lesson would work great if you split it into two days, having them set the experiment up on the first day, then allowing the bears to soak overnight! It sounds like you did well with your questioning, though, to get the students to realize that there would be a difference in time, even though they did not see any. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vale,
    Sounds like you had a great idea for a lab. It was a simple but relevant way to teach the topic. I think this lab served as a great learning experience for everyone on how to make IBI better. I think even though the lesson didn't work out quite as planned it probably gave the students a chance to really think about how it works.

    ReplyDelete