Sunday, September 8, 2013

Why Agriculture Education?

When growing up children always think about what they want to be when they grow up. Many always want to follow in their parents footsteps. Well that was me. I grew up with a mother who is a nurse and a father who is an agriculture teacher. Therefore, I have either wanted to be a veterinary (kinda relates to nursing) or an agriculture teacher. While in high school I was given the opportunity to work at a local veterinary hospital. This ignited my desire to work with animals. Right out of high school I attended the Vet Tech Institute in Pittsburgh. This is a great program, however after completing about six months I cam to the thought that I would be doing the same thing that I did in high school. I felt like I was paying $30,000 for a degree that others were doing as high school students. I applied to attend Penn State University for ag education at this point.

Why Penn State and why Ag Education? That's easy, Penn State has been a family tradition for the Laubs and they also have the best program for Agriculture. To answer why ag education. I went in thinking that 'what is something I can do where I can combine both of my dreams into one?', this is it.

Being an Agricultural Educator is more than being a teacher. Its about making a difference in your students lives. Like I stated at the
beginning my father was an ag teacher, he was mine. I was able to see the effect that his students had on him and the effect he had on them. I want to be that way too.

Stay turned for more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment