Sunday, September 22, 2013

First Day of Class

This week I got to practice how I would implicate the classroom exceptions/rules and consequences. Walking into the classroom for the first time is nerve wreaking. I thought that I could handle it due to teaching in classrooms for the last 4 years. But having your own class and not knowing what to expect from the students just adds to the nerves.

My first lab was called "First day of Class". I came up with a great lesson plan on how to start off my school year and an interest approach to get into the class after covering rules. My classmates had to role play different types of students that I may encounter. I had a complainer/whiner, constantly confused, the arrogant and then a teachers pet. I honestly thought that I could handle this but once I started teaching instantly the thought of "what did I get myself into?"

Looking back on my experience I realized that I did not handle everything the way that was best. I became flustered. I have learned that when a students ask a question about parents to maybe ask to talk to them after class. I have also learned that I need to be more strict. Also many commented that I need to be more enthused.

I also came to this lab with a project that I want to try out with my students. After teaching my lesson I asked my classmates what they thought of it and I was told that it is a great idea but maybe not to limit the species that may be researched and not to have so many options for presenting the information.

Overall this lab was an eye opener on what I need to do better and to change.

Till next time.......

1 comment:

  1. Val, you are so right that once we get into the classroom and there are live bodies in front of us, supposedly learning from us, we may feel a bit overwhelmed. I am so glad to see how reflective you are of this lesson - a perfect example of how each day of teaching should be as we look to constantly improve ourselves to reach overall student success!!! :D

    ReplyDelete