Friday, October 11, 2013

Ag Mech Lesson Lab

Well this week was interesting. I did a micro teaching lab on a demonstration that dealt with a class in ag mech that I would be teaching this spring. I decided to do my lesson on how to connect PVC pipe together with different fittings. At 4 am about 2 weeks ago, my father and I were sitting in the living room and I decided to talk to him about what was going on in school. I explained that I needed a lesson and he gave me the idea. We decided that I would teach how to cut PVC, prime and cement that to a fitting and then take teflon tape and use it to attach another fitting. I have a very unique opportunity at home which was great for this lesson. With my father being a past agricultural teacher, I was able to have him demonstrate the lesson for me and then I did it for him. 

Things at home went great. I knew all the information that I wanted to go over while each step was being done. However, when I got into the classroom things changed. I did not use my lesson plan as I planned which caused me to forget some of the information I wanted to go over. I had it in my head that I have done this plenty of times while dealing with water lines freezing on the farm, that I did not need to use my lesson plan. I can do this all by my head. Wow, was I wrong. Lesson learned though. 

Besides missing some information, I also did not clearly think about how to split my groups up. I was not thinking and had them split into groups of 2 but only had 3 students. Therefore, I paired up with the other student and was not able to provide all my attention to making sure the students all understood what was going on. Also I did not have enough supplies for them to be in different groups. 

As far as classroom management I believed that I handled this well today. I have one student who is very arrogant and just does not want to do anything. I feel that I used her view of doing this lesson to teach the class the reason why we are doing it. However, according to my grade that was not the case. 

Overall, I believe that I am going to use this lesson while teaching. With a couple of adjustments, I feel that it is going to be great. 

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome that your dad was an agricultural teacher! I think that your lesson went well, that one girl... she really is a complainer. Use your lesson plan!! I think this is something we are all struggling on. I know that I sometimes feel that I look like I don't know what I am doing when I constantly reference my lesson plan, but it is better to do that rather than miss information. This is especially important since we are going into the profession to teach students rather than look cool. This is something we can all work on. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,

    I think that your lesson idea was great for the demonstration that we were assigned. Gluing poly vinyl chloride pipe is fairly easy, yet there are some important steps while doing it.
    I really like how you practiced at home with your dad to get the main ideas and important steps down. However, its like you said, having a lesson plan in hand is a tool that should be used to make sure you hit all the information that needs to be addressed. Have fun, and I know it will go better in the "real world"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie,
    Sounds like you and I had some similar experienced, we both planned our lesson well however were not received as we had expected. I found that having the lesson well planned made the actual demonstration simple. I did remember to use my lesson plan this something I have been failing to accomplish in the past. I think the take away lesson here is to keep working and striving for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val,
    I think taking the time to prepare is something that you have learned to do well. I really like that you worked with your dad to figure out how to make your lesson a success. Preparation really is key to a good lesson, however you experienced something I have been struggling with as well. I do not always remember to look at my lesson plan, and then I forget what I wanted to do next and how I wanted to connect it to what I just did. I think that we all need to remember that our lesson plans are made for us to use. I think it is safe to say you are not the only one who is struggling with this! We are all learning! Great job, and great reflection, keep working to better yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Valerie,

    So remember that you're lesson plan is you're guide to teaching, I don't always use mine either, but always have it present when you're teaching. Also remember that we're teaching not presenting material. It's always easier to slow down, take a deep breath, and get back on track when we remember that we're teaching not presenting. It's great that you were prepared going into the classroom, that means you got half the battle won! you just need to practice the flow of your teaching!

    ReplyDelete